Thursday, July 24, 2008

28. Lime Molasses Vinaigrette (p. 171)


I decided to make a salad to go with my Watermelon Gazpacho, because, as I was reminded by my Mango-Spacho experience, by itself, "Soup is not a meal, Jerry."

I came across this vinaigrette in the salads section of The Book, and it looked light and interesting. The combo of molasses and lime isn't something that I'd ever seen before, and I was intrigued.

The vinaigrette comes together very easily. You just whisk together some molasses, lime juice and Tobasco in a bowl. Then you quickly cook some chopped scallions in some oil and then whisk that into the other ingredients. The vinaigrette is meant to be served warm or at room temperature.

I poured the dressing over sliced grilled chicken on a bed of mixed greens (bagged, don't judge), cucumbers and grape tomatoes. I really liked this dressing. Each of the components remained pretty distinct, so you got the sweet smokiness of the molasses, cut with the acidity of the lime and the heat from the Tobasco. Overall, it was a nice change from the usual vinaigrette.

Date Cooked: July 20, 2008
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: B+

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Very cool! Looks like you're chugging along just fine. I think I might give this one a try this weekend.

Ryan