Monday, July 13, 2009

173. Peanut Butter-Coconut Bars (p. 693)

This is the third peanut-butter-based dessert recipe I've made from The Book, and I'm sorry to report, that this recipe was nearly as disappointing as the other two.

First, I creamed some softened butter and sugar. Next, I added some Skippy regular creamy peanut butter, an egg, some vanilla, a bit of salt and some flour. Finally, I stirred in some sweetened flaked coconut.

I spread the mixture into a buttered baking dish and sprinkled some chopped, salted, dry-roasted peanuts on top. I baked the bars for about 20 minutes and then put them on a rack to cool.

The Book says to cut the bars into 24 pieces, and then to cut each in half diagonally to make 48 small triangles. After I cut the pieces in the picture above, I stopped cutting because they kept falling apart. That's right, just like the two different kinds peanut butter cookies I've already made from The Book, these bars were pretty dry and crumbly. But, maybe it's just me. I brought the bars to work and they disappeared quickly. A lot of people said that they were good, and not dry at all. Either I'm too picky, or my co-workers are too polite.

The flavor was pretty good, though. Plenty of peanut taste. I think that they would have tasted better, though, if the coconut had been toasted a little bit before it was stirred into the batter.

Date Cooked: June 26, 2009
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: C

No comments: