Monday, March 9, 2009

115. Roasted French Fries (p. 568)

I made this recipe to go along with the Chicken Club Sandwiches I made a few weeks back.

I was skeptical about these fries, just like I was skeptical about the Baked Potato Chips. But just like with the chips, The Book proved me wrong: You can get great taste and crispiness from your oven. It's not exactly the same as a fry-o-later, but it's pretty darn close.

Not only were these fries good, they were easy to make, too. The Book calls for russett potatoes, but I was in the mood for antioxidants (or something like that), so I opted to use sweet potatoes. They came out great, but I will try this recipe again with "regular" potatoes, too. I sliced the potatoes and then cut them into sticks. I tossed them with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and then I roasted them in a very hot oven for a little while, turning them once.

The taste? Great! Pretty crispy on the outside (some of the larger ones were a little bit wiggly, but I think that had to do with the fact that they were sweet potatoes) and nice and soft on the inside.

Date Cooked: February 21, 2009
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: A-

No comments: