Monday, October 13, 2008

57. Honey Cake (p. 705)

One of the things that I enjoy most about The Project is learning about the history and culture of the dishes I'm cooking. As the Jewish "Days of Awe" approached, I took a close look at the recipes listed under "Jewish dishes" in The Book's index for something to make in honor of Rosh Hashanah. I decided on this recipe for honey cake, which, with a little help from Wikipedia, I learned is traditionally served on the Jewish new year, to symbolize the hope for a "sweet" new year.







The cake is a dense, sweet cake, richly flavored with cinnamon, ginger, coffee and a little bit of burbon (Jack Daniel's, thank you very much). We liked this cake for dessert, but it was even better for breakfast, as suggested by The Book's blurb, toasted with a schmear.





Date Cooked: September 28, 2008
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: B+

No comments: