Wednesday, April 15, 2009

134. Tahini Sauce (p. 891)

I made this recipe as an accompaniment for the Falafel Pitas I made a little while ago. It was the best thing about the dish, and it was pretty easy to make.

The hardest part was stirring the tahini paste (which had been sitting in my refrigerator for I don't know how long). This sesame paste is pretty oily, and over time, that oil separates out and needs to be stirred back into the paste before you can use it. Like Melissa, I used a knife to carefully stir the paste so as to avoid making a huge, oily mess.

The rest of the recipe is a cinch. First, I mashed some minced garlic and sea salt into a paste with the side of a chef's knife. Then I whisked together the garlic paste with the tahini, some lemon juice, some water, olice oil, chopped parsley and cilantro and a little bit of cumin.

This sauce was delicious. It was fresh tasting with the bright lemon and pungent garlic. The tahani has a rich, silky texture, and the addition of fresh, chopped herbs was a nice touch.

I'll make this sauce again to go with some grilled chicken or drizzled over a salad, or as a lighter alternative to hummus.

Date Cooked: April 4, 2009
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: A-

No comments: