Monday, April 20, 2009

137. Deviled Eggs (p. 27)

I suppose that there is something not quite right about making "deviled" eggs on Easter. After all, the word "deviled" has been used since the 1700s to describe firey foods based on the obvious connection between intense heat and the devil. But, eggs just seemed like something I should make on Easter, and deviled eggs are such a crowd-pleaser, I knew I couldn't go wrong by making these as an appetizer for the big family meal.

There really isn't too much to say about this recipe. I mean, it doesn't get any easier than this to make a fancy, yet familiar, and totally delicious appetizer. I hard-boiled a dozen eggs. (The Book calls for six, but I made twelve because I knew they'd go fast). I think I've mentioned this before, but it's worth saying again, the Book's method for cooking hard boiled eggs works every time to make a perfectly set egg and a brilliantly yellow yolk without a hint of green. Next, I cut the eggs in half and removed the yolks. I combined the yolks with some mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I piped the filling into the egg halves, sprinkled with some paprika and that's it!

These deviled eggs were perfect. The filling was creamy and delicious with just a touch of heat from the cayenne. I'll make these again and again. They're just as at home at a picnic as they are at a fancy cocktail party.

Date Cooked: April 11 - 12, 2009
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: A

No comments: