Tuesday, April 28, 2009

141. Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic (p. 530)

I've been hearing a lot about Twitter lately. It seems like just about everyone's on it. Now, I've jumped in with both feet into blogging (obviously), and I'm a fan of Facebook for keeping in touch with friends and family. But, I just don't "get" Twitter. Well, today, I came across an interesting article in the New York Times about a woman in Ireland who's come up with an entertaining, if not entirely practical, use for Twitter's 140 character posts: micro-recipes.

Maureen Evans condenses her favorite recipes down to their barest essentials and somehow manages to get all of the measurements and directions crammed into just a few words. For example, here's her recipe for biscotti:
Biscotti: mix 1/3c sug/3T oil/egg/t anise flavr; +c flour/t bkgpwdr. Roll log to fit bkgpan; pat down. 30m@375/190C. Slice~14; brwn+6m/side.
So, I got to thinking, could I "tweet" this recipe? Here goes:
Roasted Cauliflower: Toss 6lb cauliflower florets/ ½ olive oil/ 4 cloves garlic/ s&p; spread on baking sheet; Roast @425F ~30m.
Nothing to it! 127 characters. In case you didn't get all of that, I cut 3 pounds of cauliflower (I halved the recipe) into florets. Then I tossed the florets with some olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. I spread it all out on a baking sheet and roasted it for about a half hour. It really was that easy.

This was an excellent vegetable dish. The flavor was awesome. Nutty, sweet, garlicy, and buttery (even though there's not butter). Even if you think that you don't like cauliflower, you've got to try this one. It's that good!

Date Cooked: April 26, 2009
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: A

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

YES! Roasted cauliflower is amaaaazing. Roasting is so good for those veggies people think they don't like.

Gila S said...

Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables. You can try tossing it with any spice mix before you roast it if you'd like to change things up - my favorites are curry powder and pimenton (OK, not a spice mix).

Liz T. said...

I love the Twitter recipe thing! Twitter is fun -- I follow some of my favorite bloggers and use it to (cough) promote my own blog posts. Like FB, only quicker. :)

Oh yeah, the cauliflower looks great, too. ;)